Shine's Thyme

Daily ramblings of a ridiculously happy housewife and mother. Come in and see how sweet life can be!

Friday, August 26, 2011

It's What's For Dinner!

These last days of summer are all about cooking on the grill. Yes....it's really hot to stand outside around a grill, and I am DEFINITELY a cold climate gal, but....there's just something about these days. Knowing that winter is just around the corner....knowing there will be fewer and fewer days of standing around the grill makes me want to be out there every evening. Lately, our favorite dinner on the grill...indeed has become a weekly Fri. night ritual, is pizza on the grill. My homemade pizza has always been a hit in our house, so I didn't really want to mess up a good thing, but I had to give it a try....and boy, am I glad I did! Now it's our FAVORITE by far! So fresh and DEEEELISH!! I found the recipe with great pictures here. The first time I tried it, it was a hit, so it's really easy. Here are a few  pictures of my humble results:)
                                                                       
First, make your normal pizza dough.....I'll post my favorite at the end. Roll out into smaller size pizzas. (Easier to work with). Spray the pizza dough(s) with olive oil spray the gently transfer right onto a hot grill. Cook on the first side just long enough to "set" the dough. You're not trying to fully cook the dough at this time, but you will see that it sets where you can see grill marks on the "done" side and you can handle it much easier. Then flip it once and let it set on the other side. Maybe 2-5 minutes per side.
     Next, bring in the crusts and top with your favorite toppings. Here's where's it's fun. You can really get creative. Our favorite was the spinach and tomato, but I haven't made one we didn't like yet:)                                              
   The kids like ham and cheese. I usually start w/ about 1/4 cup olive oil with 1-2 cloves of fresh garlic. Spread that over the pizza then add toppings. I have made them with the tomato based sauce and that's yummy too, but we like the change and lightness of the white pizzas best. Serena  at The Farm Chicks  has lots of great ideas and examples for toppings.                                                                  
   After topping, take the pizzas back to the grill just for long enough to heat the toppings and melt the cheese. Girls, trust me...this is YUMMY!!!!!
Here's my simple recipe for pizza dough. It's Serena's recipe that she got from Better Homes and Garden, but I replaced the AP flour with my fresh ground whole wheat flour. The results were fabulous!

Pizza Dough

2 1/2 to 3 cups all-purpose flour (I used fresh ground whole wheat flour)
2 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup warm water (not hot)
2 tablespoons olive oil
In a large mixer bowl combine 1 1/4 cups of the flour, the yeast, and salt.  Stir in warm water and oil. Beat at low speed of electric mixer for 30 seconds, scraping bowl constantly. Beat 3 minutes at high speed. Stir in as much of the remaining flour as you can mix in with a spoon. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough remaining flour to make a moderately stiff dough that is smooth and elastic. (6 to 8 minutes total).
Cover dough and let rest 10 minutes. Divide dough into as many pizzas as you'd like to make and roll out on a floured surface. (I recommend starting out with small pizzas while you get the hang of cooking them on the grill).

Here's to hoping you all have a gorgeous afternoon and a lovely evening!!!
Blessings sweet friends~~Shine                                                                                  

3 comments:

Red Rose Alley said...

Oh my gosh, that looks scrumptious!! My son makes homemade pizza too every now and then, and it is always a favorite in our family. That is so special that you make it homemade. Have a lovely weekend.
~Sheri at Red Rose Alley

Deborah said...

Mmmmmmm good!
Oh my this looks so good Shine!
You are adventurous to try this on the grill!
Im so glad its such a favourite at your place.
We dont have an outdoor grill...but if we did...that would be on my list to try!
Thank you for sharing the recipe!!
Hope your weekend is lovely dear friend!!
Hugs!!

Deborah xoxoxoxoxoxo

Cindy @ Dwellings-The Heart of Your Home said...

Grilled pizza...sounds GREAT! Thanks so much for the recipe, looks YUMMY! :)